Monday, April 9, 2007

Higher Up and Further In

Higher Up and Further In

The list of blogs I hadn't visited on the nomination list at The Homeschool Blog Awards was SOOOOOOOOO tempting. Like a plate of chocolate covered truffles just waiting to be explored and tasted. The names of the blogs range from the mundane to the silly, like http://homeschoolblogger.com/clarkxbar4 which reads " insert witty blog title here".
But this one really caught my eye because my family and I are CSLewis's Narnia junkies. We have been know to spontaniously recite the begining of our favorite:"There once was a boy named Eustace Clarence Scrubb. And he almost deserved it."
'Higher up and Further in' is Lewis's way of explaining an eternity of freshness, newness, the joy of discovering what heaven holds. The blogger is discussing the answer to a question she received about what it looks like to have Heaven in mind for all you do. It really is our home, our goal. Treasure on earth will fail and leave us missing the greater gifts.
I will enjoy this woman!

So Why do we keep searching, teaching, trying, believing, putting Heaven first? I think the quote from her profile says it. ts from CS Lewis,
THE SILVER CHAIR "... Suppose we have only dreamed or made up all those things--trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that in that case the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones. Suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only world. Well it strikes me as a pretty poor one. And that's a funny thing when you come to think of it. We're just babies making up a game if you're right. But four babies playing a game can make a play-world which licks your real world hollow. That's why I'm going to stand by the play world. I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia ... We're leaving your court at once and setting out in the dark to spend our lives looking for Overland. Not that our lives will be very long I should think; but that's small loss if the world's as dull a place as you say." -C.S. Lewis

1 comment:

Christine said...

I do so love the Chronicles of Narnia. The Silver Chair is one of our favorites. We have the entire series on audiotape from the Focus on the Family Radio Theater with Douglas Gresham as the host, and to hear Puddleglum recite that quote above!

Christine