Monday, May 21, 2007

Let's not forget! Our Lady was part of that first Novena

Ester tagged me for this Marian Devotion Meme. How wonderful! We all need to remember that Our Lady, given to the Apostles as mother only 40 days earlier, was with them in prayer in the upper room. She knew what it was to be Full of Grace and wanted that for each person, so they could more quickly follow her Son and be led to the Father.
What is your favourite image of Our Lady? I love my statue of the Kitchen Madonna. Can't you picture her, sweeping, cooking, all while praying for the Holy Spirit to descend on these Friends of her Son?
What is your favourite Marian feast? Our Lady of Guadalupe! First, we turned to her when my brother's novitiate was in Mexico. We did not see him the whole time and he received our mail only once a month. We counted on her to be with him. He brought us all back an image of Her.
Second, when a historic French parish in our city burned to the ground, the neighboring Irish parish that were to be linked with them, took care of them. But of course now, for 30 years, most of that area is Spanish speaking. So the united parish is called Our Lady of Guadalupe. She's brought real healing to the area. The pastor used to do our Homeschool Mass on First Friday's.
What is your favourite Marian hymn/anthem? Our choir director has a whole book devoted to Our Lady. One I love is Our Lady of Knock, "Golden Rose, Queen of Ireland, All our cares and troubles cease, as we kneel with love before you, Lady of Knock, my Queen of peace."
What is your favourite Marian place of pilgrimage? My Mother was very inspired when she went to LaSallette, in France but every time I take a turn with the statue she brought home for us girls I need to go to confession. There is something about seeing Her cry! There is a local shrine to her I'd like to visit.
What is your favourite Marian devotion? I love the Scriptural Rosary. Each day the younger ones and I do a decade. Sometimes instead of giving them beads I give them paper to draw the scene we are meditating on, which teaches them how to "ponder these things" in their hearts.

If you read this, Tag! Yep all 3 of you!!!

1 comment:

Esther said...

Mary, I love the your statue of the Kitchen Madonna! How could I forget that the Feast of OLOG is my favorite too! (slapping forehead). When I pray the rosary, I pray the scriptural rosary too. Thanks for playing along! I enjoyed reading your answers.