Monday, January 7, 2008

Jane Erye

I finally know the story of Jane Erye. No didn't read it, not even in High School. I watched Masterpiece Theater. 2 Sundays in a row. Really. Of course last week I went to bed early and watched in my room. This week Jeff went to bed and I had the big TV. My younger son walked in during the marraige proposal so I almost missed it. Later my older son came home took one looke and announced, "That can't be good." Off he went to the computer. My Melissa however watched the end with me. She had read it in school and didn't mind joining me.
It really was a lovely show. I have no idea how it compares to the book and this time I don't care. I simple don't have the time or energy to read all the things I'd like to at this time of my life. It was a lovely, strong telling. Symbolically intense. Rochester was not as ugly as he is suggested to be although he was transformed by Love and infinitely more appealing as the story moved along.
I'm not sorry I missed it in High School. I would have missed how important it was to the heroine to be good, honest, chaste. Now I only wonder that any young person can be. It's such a difficult task now. It was definitely not the silly romantic story some may say it is, but it was also certainly accessible. It did not seem to me that it would be difficult to understand in written word.
How did I miss it in High School? I had an amazing teacher for senior year who allowed us a great say in what we read. I had first picked a Russian novel after having read a Novelette by Tolstoy in our anthology. I became absolutely hooked. I've read Brothers Karamotzov 3 times, also love Crime and Punishment. I never did like Anna Karenina but the beauty of the Russian plains, the heartache of the characters truly drew me in to the story.
Next up will be a series of the stories of Jane Austin and a biography of her that I am really looking forward to seeing.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I watched it too. And now I really want to read it. I messed myself up by staying up so late, so I have to figure out how to tape movies, so I can watch all the Jane Austins. Then I'll want to read those too.