Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Warning: Rant

I put this rant on my Facebook and debated moving it here. After cooling off: Yes, you should read this. Please note I have read Alice Walker's The Color Purple and could appreciate the characters need to grow beyond the abused child/woman she was expected to be all of her life. I had hoped it was use of fiction to change the future and not an excuse to continue distructive, distrust of all relationships.

HT: Danielle
http://www.creativeminorityreport.com/2008/07/feminist-icons-daughter-speaks-against.html

Go here and read. And let me publicly say I LOVE being a mom. I love every detour its put me on. I love every time I was 'forced' (reminded ) to be home with my family and that this work is great work. I love every tear, wrinkle and gray hair. I love my giant scar and my little ones, vericose veins and extra pounds. Because my children have let me be present at all their good and bad times, they have let me Mother them. ( Mother: a VERB not a noun) Know that I will be there for you my children and nephews and nieces and friends we've adopted. And know that most parents really want to be very different from this feminist who turned in her parent card. Give your parent a chance to show you how strong they are, how loving and creative they can be in searching out solutions. And if you just can't trust them know there really is a Father in Heaven who has given you a Brother in Christ who has given you a Mother you can trust! Please

2 comments:

mary said...

Very interesting & sad article. As mom to 4, yes there are times I long for the ease of the single life....the freedom to go out at the drop of a hat, watch what I want on TV w/o worrying about the ratings, eat take out whenever, take a vacation, etc....but I honestly wouldn't change the path my life has taken. If it wasn't for my children I never would have had all of the experiences I've had over the last 17 (almost 18) years. I can multi-task with the best, stretch money to pay our bills, play down & dirty, cook to feed a party of at least 25, and many other things. No one said being a parent would be easy-you just have to take it one day at a time & keep in mind "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Mary B said...

It ceratinly opened up quite a discussion with the younger generation on my son's Facebook site.