Monday, July 28, 2008

We met 30 years ago and still love to date!

So first of all, thank you for the ideas for dates and the well wishes. There is still time to add your vote to the poll.
On to our actual date plan...

We were still discussing what we might do late Friday but did decide that 'something' outdoors on such a nice day was a must. If we were up to it afterwards we might try a dinner and movie. My only 'mum' request was that we spend some quality time with the kids cleaning- 2 weeks of VBS left us with a mess.
After an hour I was at my wits end and he was back from an oil change so I gladly passed the baton. He had them help clean the car while I went for groceries. I managed to pick fun treats for them, everything on my list And a picnic lunch for us. He realized I was absolutely right about them being wired but a head count proved they were all still alive. (And my van has never been cleaner.)
Groceries half away and cooler packed we took off to buy ice and leave--- when I realized I had forgotten plates, forks, napkins etc. (Hey its been a long time!) Home we went.

Getting lost.....

Now you must understand that we have lived in Massachusetts our whole lives and have rarely been outside the state, but we have not been on an 'outdoors' date in a long time. We toyed with the idea of driving to Vermont like we did as teens but the memory of finding a Walmart at one of our old haunts, under 'our' mountain was too much. Garmin to the rescue!
If you plug in park you get lots of parking lots but then we saw Nonotuck Park in Easthampton which sounded perfect. Of course we were already on I91 nearly in Northampton so it required going backwards. I almost let it get to me when I recognized the road we were on (and a fellow bloggers home) and he didn't.

Arriving...

The place was perfect. The man at the booth saw us wanting a date and let us drive around a pick a spot and we picked the one farthest from the playground and crowds. I set up while he went back to pay and poured us some happy hour. The grill lit fast and we enjoyed giant burgers grilled zuccini, marinated tortelini , feta cheese and olives.

The woods....

I really love the woods and the sense of being all alone there was, it turned out, what we needed. We walked, hidden, and enjoyed the beauty of where the stream and marsh meet the pond. For hours. We dosed on towels but never went swimming. We talked for hours- something always very necessary for our relationship. Gone was the sense I'd had of being the old fuddy-duddy, party-pooper sister/mom/houskeeper. Back was the sense of being half of a very intense, romantic and destined relationship.

Home...

When we did leave we bought 2nd hand movies, including Enchanted, and went home to give the kids ice cream cones and snuggle them through a movie. We were actually ready for them. And that I think is the most important part of a date, to be ready to enjoy the everyday again knowing the romance will be there when you take a moment. Ready to look at each with knowing, loving eyes other across the room over pj'd kids with chocolate smiles.

2 comments:

Christine said...

Sounds wonderful! I know I really enjoyed my date with DH last weekend. It is refreshing to have time alone with your love.

Cheryl said...

This was an awesome post! I'm glad you had a good time on your date. The snuggling with the kids sounded great too.