Thursday, July 22, 2010

Summer Reading Part 1

I was very good this summer and worked on buying school books and even ordering my college books first. I even started reading the books I was able to save from closing kid libraries. I want to include them in the curriculum this year.
(Did you know about the book purge-- end of the 80's early 90's -- books that still presented minorities and women in a childish or 'second class' light began to be purged. Unfortunately this left a huge void especially in Non-Fiction. This included vast quantity of Catholic books that were once a staple of the history and biography sections. Many homeschoolers however had befriended librarians in those days before the Mass marketing to homeschoolers and were rewarded. I purchased probably 100 books at a quarter each.)

But now I'm reading in earnest!
First-- scanned and made notes from Eating Right for Your Blood Type and The ER4YT Encyclopedia. Its a very interesting concept based on very basic science. People with different blood types have different tissue types as well and react to certain chemical agents. These chemical can improve or block our bloods ability to bring nutrients from food to our tissues or our tissues ability to turn food into energy rather than fat.
Unfortunately my husband and I have opposite blood types so a change in diet may be difficult. However for his blood type especially the changes could mean weight loss, lower blood pressure, better sinuses and less reactivity to allergens and stress.  My goal is to increase the foods that are good for him, drop the foods that are bad for him and get us to exercise. We'll see..... committed we are not!

Second-- Started reading the books my teens need to read over the summer for high school. Somehow we did not get the message that there was required reading for Sarah and the local library does not have the books. I'll have to get them somewhere...

I was able to get the ones for David. The first is Into the Wild  by Jon Krakauer. I appreciated the idea that as a reporter for Outside magazine he had told of the death of Chris McCandless in the Alaskan wilderness with a strict word limit and time deadline. After reactions began streaming in after publication, as well as more information Krakauer felt he owed Chris and his family the effort to do a fuller account of Why? Why did Chris feel the need to disappear into first the West and then the North? As Chris was highly intelligent and well educated and left behind his books filled with notes, underlines and highlights the tiny book takes us on a literary journey as well. Muir, Tolstoy, London: imperfect but inspired men who have drawn many men out into the wilderness and up countless mountains.
Its a fascinating tale.

Now I'm working on The Secret Life of Bees. Already I love it.

No comments: